Positive affirmations are an excellent mind conditioning exercise that will help you to develop and maintain a positive attitude about yourself and the world around you.
Begin by making small changes in your thinking.
1. Become aware of your thoughts and make an effort to notice at least three things per day which bring you joy; a sunset, the feel of your child’s hand in yours, or the pleasure of crawling into bed after a long day.
2. Become aware of how you speak to yourself, and correct any negative thoughts you might have throughout the day. Be vigilant.
3. Make a list of all of the things that you love about yourself.
4. Make a list of the things you wish to change in your life. When thinking about these goals, focus on what you want, not what you don’t want. Your thoughts should be recited in the present tense to instill the feeling of accomplishment.
Make specific goals you can clearly envision and work toward.
1. If your goal is to lose weight, try approaching the idea with thoughts like, “I am becoming slim and healthy.”
2. If you want to feel like you are being heard, try reminding yourself that, “my words are important and my voice is commanding.”
3. If you are feeling unappreciated, by yourself or others, and want to find your inner strength, repeat after me: “I am strong. I am worthy. I am the master of my own universe.”
Some affirmations will feel effortless and true, while others may feel empty. Do not worry, this takes practice. You have spent your entire life thinking about yourself and speaking to yourself in certain ways, consequently some affirmations may conflict with your present mental conditioning. As you work with more positive affirmations, your resistance will erode and you will begin to see that what you are telling yourself is true. Congratulations! You are moving in the direction of manifestation.