Naturopathic Medicine utilizes the body’s own natural abilities to heal itself
Rather than simply suppress the symptoms, a Naturopathic Physician helps identify and remove blockages hindering the body, which then allows the body to heal itself. For example, approaching the treatment of chronic sinus infections illustrates how conventional and naturopathic approaches to healing differ. A conventional medical doctor will prescribe an antibiotic. A Naturopathic Physician will explore food and environmental triggers, as well as immune system function issues.
Natural Medicine’s Strength
Natural medicine’s strength lies in its ability to successfully address chronic degenerative diseases such as
- Digestive Disorders | IBS, IBD, constipation, diarrhea
- Chronic Conditions | arthritis, chronic fatigue, headaches, chronic sinus infections, weight gain, blood sugar issues, muscle aches and pains
- Autoimmune Conditions | Lupus, MS, Hashimoto’s
- ADD, ADHD
- Diabetes, Fibromyalia and Weight Gain
Leading edge, scientifically-based diagnostic tools
To help find the root cause of a problem, Dr. Tamara may recommend lab tests such as
- Food allergy/intolerance testing
- Nutritional and amino acid status testing
- Adrenal testing
- Comprehensive stool analysis testing
- Saliva adrenal testing
- Hormone testing
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine*
The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Nature)
Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent ability in the body, which is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to recovery and to facilitate and augment this healing ability.
Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causam)
The Naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness, rather than to eliminate or merely suppress symptoms.
First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)
Naturopathic medicine follows three principles to avoid harming the patient:
- Utilize methods and medicinal substances, which minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms.
- Acknowledge and respect the individual’s healing process, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat illness.
Doctor as Teacher (Docere)
Naturopathic physicians educate the patient and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also acknowledge the therapeutic value inherent in the doctor-patient relationship.
Treat the Whole Person
Naturopathic physicians treat each individual by taking into account physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual path.
Naturopathic physicians emphasize disease prevention, assessment of risk factors and hereditary susceptibility to disease and making appropriate interventions to prevent illness. Naturopathic medicine strives to create a healthy world in which humanity may thrive.
To learn more about Naturopathic Medicine, please visit www.naturopathic.org, www.bastyr.edu, www.naturalhealers.com, www.ncnm.edu, www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3240.asp